Casey Rice – Engineer Q&A
1. Who are you and what do you do?
My name is Casey Rice and I make records for bands. At least that’s what they were called when I started, now they are CDs…oh…wait…maybe not.
2. What have you worked on in the past and what are you working on now?
Recently finished new Dirty Three album, Ponyface single, a Witch Hats album, an album by Ryan I, The Peep Tempel record, starting the new Orbweavers album in July.
3. Why did you move to OZ?
Because it is nice here!
4. What kind of music do you like to work on?
I prefer rap metal, but obviously I take the 3rd, 4th and 8th choices after that often.
5. What are your thoughts on the music industry shake up and how does this effect you personally? ie) icloud and other digital mediums and the fall of major labels?
It doesn’t affect me in the slightest as I never really did much work in that regard anyways. I am still doing basically what I started doing in the early 90s. Recording bands who do music because they like doing it.
6. Your commitment to independent music is something to admire. What advice can you give to those about to embark on the indie thing?
Be very persistant and proflific.
7. What is the first mistake most musicians make when in a studio environment?
Not having one’s equipment in good shape. Buzzing, crackling and broken amps and guitars are the number one time waster.
8. What is one of the most memorable studio experiences of your career?
The last one usually, I have a bad memory.
9. What is you’re studio set up at the moment?
Neotek Elan console and Protools TDM system.
10. What you working on at the moment?
Next up is Orbweavers mixing.
11. You were Tortoise’s live engineer for a while. What was that like?
A decade of bong smoke haze and broken spring reverbs.
12. You have helped some great new bands make records like Teeth & Tongue, and Aleks And The Ramps. Do you prefer working with the fresh bands or the more experienced ones?
I like both actually. New bands are cool, they quite often make the most inspired and interesting records.
13. 3 records you are proud of?
Pretenders II, Todd Rundgren: Hermit Of Mink Hollow, and Eno Moebius and Rodelius: After The Heat. Pity I didn’t make any of them.
14. 3 local bands that get your rocks off?
I like New War, Witch Hats, Yuko Kono, Ancients, wait, thats more than three…I’ll stop now then.
Contact Casey here: http://www.caseyrice.com/